Options

Register Login MTI Show Support New Topic or Question All Forums

Share |

Stage Props and Set Design Info - Alice In Wonderland, Jr.

MTI Show Support
Related MTI Shows: Disney's Alice in Wonderland JR. 
Susan Nelson:

I am considering Alice in Wonderland, Jr for my junior high show. Where is the best place to contact for props and set design for this show?

(854 days ago)
Cindy Ripley:

Hi Susan!  This is one of the most fun shows to create sets and props as the sky is the limit with imagination.  One of the best places to get ideas is MTISHOWSPACE under Alice JR  http://www.mtishowspace.com/shows/228/disneys-alice-in-wonderland-jr.   I can connect you with teachers who have done it and send pics as well.  Let me know if that will help! Pianocar88@mac.com

(854 days ago)
Susan Nelson:

Thanks, Cindy - I'll check with MTI, again. If you could send pics, that would be great.  I appreciate your help.  Thanks again.

(853 days ago)
Connie Sandoz:

Hi Ladies,

Alice In Wonderland is our spring show as well. I'll definitely check out the above website. I would also love to be connected with teachers who have done it. Our space is limited and we don't have the luxury of wings on our stage. Somehow we always manage to have a great show!!

I look forward to hearing from you!

(755 days ago)
Rachel Damon:

I did this show a few years ago with a super low budget, and unit set.  Here is a link to some photos from our production.  Let me know if you have any questions, I have more photos on my flickr account as well if you want to see more.  

http://racheldamon.com/portfolio/production-photos/aliceinwonderland/

(754 days ago)
Connie Sandoz:

Rachel,

Thanks for the info. The pics are adorable! I'm not concerned about costumes - it's the set as we don't have the capability to take large pieces off/on. I will use a backdrop and go from there. 

(754 days ago)
Rachel Damon:

We used a unit set for the show, and had it transform from the beginning when she is in the "real world" to Wonderland.  We had a few trees that we could turn so they had giant butterflies on one side and were regular on the other side (left overs from Into the Woods Jr) and then added lots of lights to make it seem more "magical" including a strobe projected onto fabric for a "waterfall" look, and lots of hanging paper lanterns.  We did the transititon as she falls down the rabbit hole during "very good advice" and just used the xmas lights and lanterns to light it so Alice was in silhuette.   We also had lots of fabric and tulle we draped to give it a more fantasy feel.  The addition of the lights really helped everything to pop and we had her encounters with different people happen on different parts of the stage so it looked like she was traveling.   

(754 days ago)
Connie Sandoz:

Rachel,

One more question - how did you make her "fall"?

(754 days ago)
Rachel Damon:

We had very low lighting (as described above) and had her slowly turn.  As the different characters went past her it was like a whirlpool effect which made her spin faster in that direction, like they were sucked in to her vortex and then spit out the other side.

(754 days ago)
Connie Sandoz:

Thanks Rachel!!

(754 days ago)
Cindy Ripley:

I'm a huge fan of teaching kids true stagecraft and the magic it can create. Love this solution  Rachel, and I have seen many where they "create" a vortex with spinning disc (game show style) which also works, but kids moving by Alice is extremely effective!  The most fun part of this show Connie is the contrast between real and make-believe, AND to keep the audience guessing!

(753 days ago)
Connie Sandoz:

Cindy,

I LOVE keeping the audience guessing. I'm considering using an elevated stage where Alice can use a spiral slide to go down the rabbit hole. Of course we'd disguise the slide and there'd be lots of effects for the fall - smoke, strobe, etc.  Last year for Annie we had a two-story set that rotated.

We use the Jr. versions because we don't have live music as an option, and I LOVE them!!    I can use them with younger students OR mature them into huge, full-blown high school musicals.

(753 days ago)
Cindy Ripley:

I would love to see what you have done with your shows.  You make my heart sing Connie. That was the original vision with the concept of the first guide, ANNIE JR, plunked out  on an Apple 2E, (eeks!) in 1995. Just HOPING people who love working with kids and musical theater would gain a vehicle that let them "strut their stuff" at any level and situation with a helping hand if needed.  So rewarding to know you are one who sees the big picture and makes it happen with kids.  Thank you!

(753 days ago)
Connie Sandoz:

Cindy,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I've posted albums online for Seussical, Dear Edwina, HONK, and Annie - all Jr. shows.

We do not have a theatre yet and so our gym is magically turned into a theatre for our productions. Well, not magically - LOTS of hard work from volunteers and our Facilities Dept.  A custom made stage is put up, black curtain surround the whole gym and stage, side uplighting w/par cans is located along the side black curtains, lighting trusses are put up, professional lighting and sound equipment and technicians are brought in. Needless to say, it takes a lot of cooperation from all departments to make this happen. Sports and PE are displaced during this week and a half.

We are breaking ground for a new high school that will have a theatre, however it won't be for a while. It's exciting but there's also something SO raw about doing it the way we do now - without all the bells and whistles! 

I hope you enjoy the photos.

~~Connie

(753 days ago)